[Debian-science-sagemath] Installing SageMath on Ubuntu

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Fri Feb 16 06:38:30 UTC 2018

Hi Samuel,

On 15 February 2018 at 23:14, Samuel Lelièvre <samuel.lelievre at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I understand correctly, there used to be a dedicated Sage PPA
> package for Ubuntu, maintained by Jan Groenewald and made
> available at the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
> but this effort was abandoned after SageMath was successfully
> packaged for Debian.

Correct.

> What I am missing is an overview of how Ubuntu users can take
> advantage of the Debian packaging of SageMath.
> - what would be the instructions for installing on Ubuntu?
> - would that work with any version of Ubuntu? or for which?

Ubuntu syncs from Debian unstable before each Ubuntu release, so you can on
either do:

sudo apt-get install sagemath-jupyter

This will work from Ubuntu 17.04 and up and Debian 9 and up.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=sagemath-jupyter&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sagemath-jupyter&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

A university lab that needs frequent updates could manually install the
binaries from sagemath mirror network,
and symlink to it from /usr/local/bin/sage.

A developer would no doubt build from source anyway.

On older 14.04 and 12.04 you can still use the PPA but it is an older
version of sagemath.

Regards,
Jan

--