[Debian-science-sagemath] upstreaming nauty patches?

Dima Pasechnik dimpase at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:55:24 BST 2019

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 1:34 PM Jerome BENOIT <calculus at rezozer.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am maintaining the the nauty package for Debian.
>
> On 08/09/2019 16:17, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> > Hi,
> > has anyone tried upstreaming nauty patches (i.e. dynamic libraries and
> > pkgconfig/nauty.pc) ?
>
> I submitted technical patch to the upstream maintainer once:
> he did not apply them. I do not think he is reluctant to patches
> as I convinced him to adopt a licence compatible with Debian.
I thought it was me and other Sage people back in late 2015- early
2016 who convinced him to drop that incompatible "no military
application" clause, but maybe there were more issues with that, dunno
:-)
But OK, it's done.

> I think that he is not that familiar and comfortable with technical issues
> (C, unix shell, autotools). And, as academic, his time is certainly very precious:
he is retired, since a while, so I don't think it's about time.

We need a good argument, e.g. difficulty to make a Python extension without a
dynamic library.

Dima