[Debian-science-sagemath] Sage 9.1 doesn't build as root

John Scott jscott at posteo.net
Mon Jun 8 20:17:21 BST 2020

Nope, I haven't been able to get it figured out. I've realized that configure
isn't invoked by debhelper directly but instead by
run_build = \
MAKE='make -j$(NUMJOBS)' PREREQ_OPTIONS="--prefix=$(SAGE_LOCAL) --enable-build-
as-root" $(MAKE) --directory=sage

since it seems PREREQ_OPTIONS gets passed on to configure via Sage's Makefile:
> # If configure was run before, rerun it with the old arguments.
> # Otherwise, run configure with argument $PREREQ_OPTIONS.
> build/make/Makefile: configure build/make/deps $(SPKG_COLLECT_FILES)
> $(CONFIG_FILES:%=%.in) rm -f config.log
> mkdir -p logs/pkgs
> ln -s logs/pkgs/config.log config.log
> @if [ -x config.status ]; then \
> ./config.status --recheck && ./config.status; \
> else \
> ./configure $$PREREQ_OPTIONS; \
> fi

This doesn't help the error though and it also blocks building in sbuild. I
don't know why the variable doesn't get passed on. Varying combinations of
switching $$ for $(...) and $, and moving variables before and after the
invocation of Make didn't appear to help.