[Debian-science-sagemath] fpylll: dependency or dependencee of Sage ?

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Mon Oct 17 13:12:00 UTC 2016

Jeroen Demeyer:
> Maybe you should ask other distros how they package Sage.
>
> In any case, to me it seems most natural to separate Sage-the-library from Sage-the-distribution. The tests would belong to Sage-the-distribution.

Well, Sage 7.4 has not been released yet, so nobody has this problem yet. I know at least Gentoo does not normally run tests during the build, so they can just ignore this problem. Fedora will definitely have the same problem as us, I don't know about Arch.

One way for Debian that is "close to" what you guys are doing, is to yes put the tests in a second package sagemath-distribution. But this makes the maintenance workflow very costly for us.

Can we please persuade you guys to not make fpylll build-depend on sagelib? I can see that it's possible to build fpylll without Sage, it will just have a different API. Can't we patch Sage-the-library to use fpylll-without-Sage, then have Sage itself convert the non-Sage integers into Sage integers?

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git