[Debian-science-sagemath] fpylll: dependency or dependencee of Sage ?

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Mon Oct 17 14:44:00 UTC 2016

Jeroen Demeyer:
> On 2016-10-17 15:12, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> One way for Debian that is "close to" what you guys are doing, is to yes put the tests in a second package sagemath-distribution. But this makes the maintenance workflow very costly for us.
>
> Why does it make your workflow more costly?

Debian has automated build systems that build things on architectures that the developer doesn't have access to. We would have to build sage-the-library, upload it, wait for the automated systems to build it and distribute it, then if this is succesful on all architectures, only then can we upload sage-the-distribution to run the actual run-time tests. If any of these fail, we have to start the whole loop again.

Since 99% of the tests in Sage-the-distribution are actually for code that belongs in Sage-the-libary (and the other 1% is for SageNB), it is much easier to run the tests in Sage-the-library - one doesn't have to mentally context-switch so much.

> Having a large metapackage (Sage-the-distribution) with many individual packages (one of them being Sage-the-library) is a normal thing. See for example https://packages.debian.org/jessie/kde-full
> Are the Debian KDE maintainers complaining about this?

These metapackages don't have test code for other packages. Their dependencies test themselves, and the metapackages "do" nothing.

>> Can we please persuade you guys to not make fpylll build-depend on sagelib?
>
> Not me because I don't agree that there is a problem to be solved. If you want to persuade other guys, I suggest to email to sage-packaging or sage-devel.
>
>> I can see that it's possible to build fpylll without Sage, it will just have a different API. Can't we patch Sage-the-library to use fpylll-without-Sage, then have Sage itself convert the non-Sage integers into Sage integers?
>
> Possibly at the expense of performance. But that is something to discuss with the fpylll developers.

OK thanks for the pointer. I'll write something to sage-devel.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git