[Debian-science-sagemath] Required tasks for sage in stretch

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Wed Nov 9 20:10:00 UTC 2016

Tobias Hansen:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit worried that we might not achieve the goal to get sage into
> stretch, if we don't focus on the essential tasks.[1] If we do not get
> all of the following things done in the next 3 or 4 weeks, there will
> simply be no sage in stretch.

You are right, it is good to prioritise. I had been thinking maybe we won't make stretch, but it's at least good to try, since we won't get another chance for ~2 years. I have been spending way too much time on Jmol.

> * gap/libgap - Jerome, do you have a plan to resolve this?
>
> * maxima - even updating sage to maxima 5.38.1 is hard (see [2]) and
> then there is the gcl vs ecl issue. I begin to think the only way to
> solve this in time is to have our own package of maxima 5.35.1 with ecl
> and fasl library.
>
> * ecl - the one fix I applied does not migrate to testing due to a
> deadlocked situation with libatomic-ops (unfixable (?) RC bug). Maybe
> this can be resolved by asking for removals of libatomic-ops packages
> for the failing architectures from testing. Since the RC bug is also in
> testing, the package should then migrate, right?

Could you go into some more details on this? I can try to help.

> * planarity - We need have to figure out how to use the new version
> packaged in Debian.

I will have another shot at it with my patch; otherwise we could disable it (it's not used that much, like jmol) or upload a planarity2.

> * cython - We need to fix RC bug #833288 for testing migration and make
> sure cython 0.25 gets packaged.
>
> * pyzmq - RC bugs need to be fixed for testing migration.
>
> * linbox - I might need to close RC bugs by disabling tests.
>
> * sagenb - Is someone taking care of this? What's the status?

As Jerome mentioned, sagenb-export is waiting on jupyter-notebook but is otherwise finished. sagenb itself needs to be looked at, due to those annoying JS libraries. I can do that over the next few weeks.

> * jupyter-sphinx-theme - Jerome, can this be uploaded?
>
> * jupyter-notebook - Gordon, can this be uploaded?
>
> * ipywidgets, widgetsnbextension, thebe - ? (Are these essential?)
>
> * sagemath - fix doctests, disable doctests we can't fix, revise
> patches, polish packaging, etc.
>

> [1] I really hope noone gets offended by this, but singular 4.0.3-p5 and
> pynac 0.7 are not on this list. We should probably also stop worrying
> about jmol. It would be a pity if we can't get sage into stretch because
> we get carried away doing other things.
>
> [2] https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18920

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE