[Debian-science-sagemath] Required tasks for sage in stretch

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sat Nov 12 20:01:00 UTC 2016

Tobias Hansen:
> On 11/09/2016 10:44 PM, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Separately, shall we package ECL 16.1 for Debian? That is what Sage are using. It might make the maxima upgrade easier.
>>

> First we have to get ecl to migrate to testing. And even then, I'm

It's not necessary to wait until ECL migrates to testing, before we upload another version to unstable.

But I looked at the Sage maxima ticket and it looks like ECL 16.1.2 wouldn't work anyway, we'd either need to backport a whole series of patches or just wait until the next release:

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18920#comment:75

> considering to prepare a real maxima-sage (5.35.1) package on the
> weekend. Since we need a different version than the debian package now,
> we wouldn't even really duplicate the source anymore. Having two
> versions of a software in Debian sometimes happens when it can't be
> avoided. And that package could be stripped down. Coinstallable with
> maxima, only ecl, less binary packages. What do you think?

I've pinged Camm again on that ticket, I suggest we wait for a response first. I don't think he is aware of the full situation, so we should *at least* tell him that we're planning this separate package, before uploading it.

You could work on it in the meantime though, to see if it's a "clean solution". For starters, the version seems to be hard-coded in /usr/bin/maxima. How are you planning to work around this? (Also the man pages)

On the up side, I don't see other issues at this point - all the other relevant files are like, /usr/{lib,share}/maxima/$version/, so that is already co-installable without extra work.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git