[Debian-science-sagemath] Required tasks for sage in stretch

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Sun Nov 13 23:00:06 UTC 2016

On 11/12/2016 08:01 PM, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Tobias Hansen:
>> considering to prepare a real maxima-sage (5.35.1) package on the
>> weekend. Since we need a different version than the debian package now,
>> we wouldn't even really duplicate the source anymore. Having two
>> versions of a software in Debian sometimes happens when it can't be
>> avoided. And that package could be stripped down. Coinstallable with
>> maxima, only ecl, less binary packages. What do you think?
>>

> I've pinged Camm again on that ticket, I suggest we wait for a response first. I don't think he is aware of the full situation, so we should *at least* tell him that we're planning this separate package, before uploading it.
>
> You could work on it in the meantime though, to see if it's a "clean solution". For starters, the version seems to be hard-coded in /usr/bin/maxima. How are you planning to work around this? (Also the man pages)
>
> On the up side, I don't see other issues at this point - all the other relevant files are like, /usr/{lib,share}/maxima/$version/, so that is already co-installable without extra work.

I created the coinstallable maxima-sage package today. It doesn't cause
any new test fails. I uploaded it to deb-sci-sage and updated sagemath
to use it. I'll write to the maxima bug report tomorrow.

I realized that when we file the ITP for SageMath, it will go to
debian-devel so it is a good opportunity to ask for help on fixing RC
bugs and packaging javascript stuff. So we should do that soon too.
Anything specific we should ask for help on?