[Debian-science-sagemath] TODO for sagemath and sagenb

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Fri Dec 2 11:45:55 UTC 2016

Hi all,

so I wanted to see what is left to do for sagenb and sagemath before a
first upload.

Ximin, you wrote in todo-stretch.md that we'll have to bundle several
things with sagenb. So should the package stay more or less as it is or
do you think what you started in the _wip_repack branch will work? In
any case, we'll need a debian/copyright file. What else needs to be done?

Regarding sagemath:

 * Everything that is installed to /usr/bin conflicts with at least one
"should" statement of the Debian policy. (lintian tags
binary-without-manpage, script-with-language-extension,
executable-not-elf-or-script). This can be fixed by installing
everything except sage into a private folder and writing a manpage for
the sage command. That needs figuring out how to make sage still find
everything.

 * We need to make the test suite work with the installed sage package.
That will also help with figuring out if we got the Depends field of the
sagemath package right. We should have another look at sage-env and see
if it can be patched more cleanly, maybe like in Arch Linux [1]?

 * For the tests failing due to pari stack warnings, I created this
patch: [2]. I added lines with "..." to the tests to ignore the
warnings, but the tests still fail. Does someone know why?

 * We have about 200 failing tests due to missing jmol and I think
there's not much we can do about it. I tried some of the examples from
failing tests in the notebook with canvas3d and they don't work. I don't
even know if we can update jmol at this point, because it has several
reverse dependencies. It will also be removed from testing on December
20, preventing that would require an upload before December 10. Maybe we
should accept that 3D printing is broken for now.

 * There's still a lot of testing to do: build against packages from
unstable + NEW + sagenb + ipywidgets, test Depends (installation in a
clean unstable environment and run tests), test the installed packages
and notebooks. We could start uploading the sagemath packages to the
development apt repo so that people not building it can also help testing.

[1]
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/env.patch?h=packages/sagemath

[2]
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/sagemath.git/tree/debian/patches/debian-pari-stackwarn-2.patch