[Debian-science-sagemath] Jupyter packages

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sat Jan 7 11:50:00 UTC 2017

Gordon Ball:
> On 06/01/17 20:05, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Ximin Luo:
>>> Gordon Ball:

>>> nbsphinx already build-depends on nbconvert so this would be a cyclic dependency. Whilst it's *possible* to set these things up in Debian it's strongly discouraged because it makes bootstrapping harder. Could you explain the details so we can try to figure out a better solution?
>>>

>> Perhaps we could split https://github.com/jupyter/nbconvert/tree/master/docs into a separate Debian source package.
>
> Is it not enough at this point to add <nodocs> sigils to the
> build-dependencies and relevant parts of d/rules, to allow a
> non-dependency-loop build if needed.
>
> I'm not particularly invested in enabling the documentation package
> here, since I'm inclined to think they're fairly little used, but since
> the original package was uploaded including a dummy documentation
> package it probably makes sense to either populate it, or just drop it
> entirely.

I forgot about that. Yes, that would work. You can also add a "Build-Profiles: <!nodoc>" to the binary stanza for the doc package in d/control so it simply doesn't get built, as opposed to building a dummy package.

I was hesitant to suggest this because it's a special case usually only reserved for compilers and self-hosted things. It's generally not good engineering practice in other cases. So I pretend to myself that it's not an option.

For the bootstrapping case, there is a special profile "stage1" for this purpose, you should probably support this as well as "nodoc". https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec#Rationale

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git