[Debian-sponsors-discuss] Debian fundraising thoughts.

Dr. Michael Meskes michael.meskes at credativ.com
Mon Mar 11 11:48:12 UTC 2013

> > > 5) I feel like those sponsors who are sponsoring DebConf are really
> > > sponsoring Debian, and as such, should be recognized as such. One
> > > thing I have observed that seems an interesting model here, is that
> > > the Linux Foundation has Platinum, Gold and Silver memberships, with a
> > > fixed annual set of dues, that do not change. One of the benefits of
> > > becoming a paid Linux Foundation member is discounts on sponsorship of
> > > their conferences. I think this is a great model, and wonder what it
> > > would take to do the same for Debian?
>
> To me, this sounds too complex.

How's that? I mean, this doesn't seem to be complex at all to me.

> In addition, there's some murkier ways to sponsor, like letting
> employees fix bugs or work on packages during work hours, but trying to
> keep track of that will basically be impossible, I think.

Shouldn't this account for something, too?

> The important word here is donations, which is slightly different from
> sponsorship.  The limit of what the donors get back is limited to their
> name and logo (if their donation is large enough).

I take it you mean "their name and logo mentioned on the website" or somesuch.
:)

> I like simple.  It's easier to explain, to understand and makes it
> easier for the donors to choose the appropriate amount.  It also means
> we don't have to spend too much time managing sponsors, we can keep most
> of our attention on making Debian a success.

I doubt that changing the name of the baby from sponsor to donor will remove
the time needed for managing the sponsor/donor. So what exactly do you mean?

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, President/Director
Tel.: +49 (0)2161 / 46 43 0
E-Mail: michael.meskes at credativ.com
IM: mme at jabber.credativ.com

credativ GmbH, HRB Moenchengladbach 12080,
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Moenchengladbach, Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Joerg Folz