[xml/sgml-pkgs] docbook2x: collision with sgml-common-utils and common program-transform-name

Peter Volkov pva at gentoo.org
Wed May 21 08:19:43 UTC 2008

Hello, guys. There exists file collision between sgml-common-utils and
docbook2x packages and that's why most distributions use
--program-transform-name to make different naming of programs in
docbook2x. Recently I've received bug report that our naming convention
does not follow debian one. I've checked few other distributions and
found that they use:

AltLinux: --program-transform-name='s/docbook2/db2x_docbook2/'
Redhat EL, Fedore: --program-transform-name='s/docbook2/db2x_docbook2/'
Debian: --program-transform-name="s/^docbook2/docbook2x-/"
OpenSuse: just moves files to docbook-to-man and docbook-to-texi
Mandriva: does nothing
Gentoo: --program-transform-name='s,\(docbook2.*\),\1.pl,'

So what I'm looking for is some consistent naming that we could agree on
and ask upstream to add some notes into their package. Personally I like
names which starts with the same name as original utility to simplify
search of necessary tool in shell (with tab competition). But what do
you think about this? What upstream can suggest?

P.S. It's not always obvious for me if I picked up correct maintainer,
so in case I did mistake, please, forward this mail to correct
maintainer in your distribution. Thank you.

With best regards,
--
Peter.