[Debichem-devel] Build-dependency for rasmol: cbflib

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Mon Mar 31 14:23:41 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, den 28.03.2008, 22:22 +0100 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Daniel Leidert wrote:

[..]
> > However, I think that putting a package into our SVN (git-svn) with the
> > full source is also ok - especially because we use a separate directory
> > for tags. But in this case I would suggest to clean tags from time to
> > time (via svn remove or svnadmin). ATM checking out the full debichem
> > repository needs just a few minutes.
>
> Hmmmm, did you ever tried through 385kBit DSL???

Why should I? I have a working 16MBit ADSL2+ :) But I understand your
argument. I work with the pkg-scicomp team and there several package
sources are put under subversion control. Checking out this repository
(which I found was necessary) and the debichem repository is really a
difference.

> I do not want to and thus I'm very keen on leaving upstream tarball
> out of the VCS (whatever is choosen).

I speak about an exception. I personally work perfectly with the
debian/-only approach and I also voted for being able to use this
approach with future packaging formats at debian-devel. Thus I'm not for
standardizing on quilt as long as quilt cannot handle this approach.

> > I would really, really like to
> > preserve this.
>
> What, the speedy check out?  I would love to see this preserved but
> IMHO it contradicts with inclusion of upstream tarballs.

Yes it does. But Teemu is not some kind of inactive maintainer. He is
working actively on rasmol, so I don't think, one can force him to use
the debian/-only approach instead of his normal workflow.

Debian package maintainers must be free to use the tools and workflow
that fit best for them. So if Teemu would like to put rasmol under the
debichem hat with the requirement to put the full source under version
control and the usage of git(-svn) ... well, then I'm fine with it as
long as I'm not forced to put the full source for *my* packages under
version control. I can also live with the idea, that Teemu puts his
package under git-control only at git.d.o - it would give me the
possibility to learn more about git and git-buildpackage.

Regards, Daniel