[Debichem-devel] Avogadro 0.9.3 and python extension

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 7 19:49:29 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Our existing 0.9.2 packages are missing the python extension. I've
been very busy with the dissertation but I did some checking around
with people about how to properly build python public extension
modules. We need to create a python-avogadro binary with the
Avogadro.so file installed. I talked to #debian-python and they said
that we should build the extension for every supported python version
(currently 2.4 and 2.5?) and use either python-support or
python-central. The most straightforward way is to just rebuild
avogadro iterating over the python versions. This seems a bit extreme
for to me so I asked cryos in #avogadro if we could build just the
python extension. He said that we can run: make python-module and it
should work. We just need to change the python version in the
CMakeCache.txt. We could just sed that or perhaps we could rerun
cmake, I'm not sure.

Since I'm not very familiar with library/python packaging I was
wondering if any of you had thoughts on this?

-Jordan