[Debichem-devel] cclib_1.0.1-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Thu Apr 21 19:13:56 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 21.04.2011, 10:11 +0200 schrieb Karol M. Langner:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:48:18PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:

[..]
> > These source files are trivially not DFSG free and so cannot be included
> > in main even if they're not used in the binary build.
>
>  I packaged cclib and am one of the upstream authors. To be clear, these files
> contain NO source code. They consist of the (text) output of the licensed program,
> which we use for tests. Having said that, I know that DFSG covers docs and all
> other parts of debs.
[..]
>  Would it help if I asked the owner of this license for permission to remove it
> from these specific files and to use them in any way?

Yes. But it only works, if this is removed in general. Special
permissions for Debian users violate our DFSG too (No 8). If you get the
permissions, add the mail to the source package and put it
into /usr/share/doc/cclib/ too.

> What else can be done? In the worst
> case scenario, should I remove all tests from the package?

Indeed. One alternative might be: Put these files into a separate source
and binary package into non-free. Then let cclib build-depend on this
package. Unfortunately a package in main must not (build-)depend on any
package outside main (or unpackaged software). So you would have to put
cclib in contrib. IMO changing the EULA or removing these files is the
best thing we can do.

Regards, Daniel