[Debichem-devel] cclib

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sun Mar 27 10:54:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 01:04:42AM +0100, Karol M. Langner wrote:
> OK, I managed to get the packages built, but they are not tested. Here are
> a few issues that I think need to be addressed first:
> 1) I am actually creating 3 packages now, cclib, cclib-data and python-cclib. The first
> contains just two scripts (that go in /usr/bin I suppose), the second contains > 5MB
> of log files we use in unittests, and the last is the actual Python module. Is this
> the right way to go, or should it be organized differently?

As Daniel said, having a separate -data package makes most sense if the
main package is Arch: any.  5 MB aren't so much that they warrant a
package on its own, either.

About python-cclib, if the package ships a python module which can be
used by other projects (which I believe is the case for cclib), it
should be its own package.

> 2) I added the actuall unittests (a directory of .py scripts) to cclib-data, but
> I suppose it should be copied to the module directory. I don't know how to do this.

Is there an easy way to run the unittests after package installation?
We have been discussing having a possibility to make sure an installed
package is behaving properly.  This is probably less relevant for a
python module processing text files than for numerical simulation
package, but still.

Is the unittest data used by the module?  Maybe a useful split-up would
be to ship the scripts and unittest-data (and possibly a script to run
the tests) in the cclib package, and the python module in python-cclib?

Michael