[Debichem-devel] cclib

Karol M. Langner karol.langner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:44:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:45:16PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 23.03.2011, 01:04 +0100 schrieb Karol M. Langner:
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 03:44:23PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Yes, that would be fine; just create a new directory for your package
> > > and add your current debian/ directory under it.  We copy that to
> > > tags/<package>/<version> after upload.
> >
> > Done. I imported manually, since I haven't figured out how to use svn-buildpackage yet.
>
> svn-inject -c 0 -o -O package.dsc svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debichem/unstable/
>
> My setup uses this in ${HOME}/.svn-buildpackage.conf
>
> > svn-builder=pdebuild --configfile /etc/pbuilderrc --buildresult /usr/local/src/packages/$PACKAGE --debbuildopts \"-us -uc $BUILDOPTS\"
> > svn-override=origDir=/usr/local/src/packages/$PACKAGE
> > svn-override=buildArea=/usr/local/src/packages/$PACKAGE
>
> Note, that I use pbuilder to build packages and that my setup consists
> of one directory per source package in /usr/local/src/packages/. The
> "$PACKAGE" variable is evaluated by svn-buildpackage itself (svn-bp
> replaces the variable with the source package name).
>
> uscan is used via
>
> uscan --destdir /usr/local/src/packages/{source-package-name}
>
> I can help you to setup svn-bp if necessary. Just give me a hint.

I'll try to do it on on my own first!

> > > Sure, and once it's fine we'll upload it for you.
> >
> > OK, I managed to get the packages built, but they are not tested. Here are
> > a few issues that I think need to be addressed first:
> > 1) I am actually creating 3 packages now, cclib, cclib-data and python-cclib. The first
> > contains just two scripts (that go in /usr/bin I suppose), the second contains > 5MB
> > of log files we use in unittests, and the last is the actual Python module. Is this
> > the right way to go, or should it be organized differently?
> > 2) I added the actuall unittests (a directory of .py scripts) to cclib-data, but
> > I suppose it should be copied to the module directory. I don't know how to do this.
>
> Aren't unittests to test the software itself? Are the logfiles of the
> unittests necessary for something/the user? To me it sounds like the
> user has no need for it. And in this case you shouldn't package them.

No, they are not totally unnecessary for using the module itself. These are
actualy comp. chem. output files we use as unittest for our parsers.

> The separation between foo and foo-data is usually used to separate
> architecture-dependent (binary code) and architecture-independent
> (configuration files, text files, non-binary stuff) stuff. The first
> must be built on all architectures and the second just once. This saves
> space and (build) resources.
>
> Scripts are usually not architecture-dependent. So I wonder if you
> really need cclib and cclib-data? If you want to package these logfiles,
> you should probably choose a different name than cclib-data?

Yes, now I understand this. If they are to be packaged, the log files
should therefore be in cclib-unittest or something similar.

But I suppose the log files don't _need_ to be packaged. Do similar
projects package such files used for testing?

> We should clarify these questions before proceeding to the modules
> directory question, for which we have different tools.

Sure. Aside from the question of these log files... the rest is simply
a purely Python module and two scripts. I suppose everything could
be in a single package. Is it normal to have scripts packged in
python-foo packages?

Best,
Karol

--