[Debichem-devel] rdkit: Re-packaging and versioning

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sat Oct 29 13:35:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 02:38:14PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> I'm currently checking our repository and stumbled over rdkit missing
> the watch file.

Yeah, I still haven't gotten used to doing them :-/

> I found that this package has been re-packaged, but it is missing a
> README.source file explaining why. A quick check revealed, that the
> Docs/ directory has been removed. What's the reason?

The reason was that the documentation was in CC-by-SA 2.5 (IIRC), which
is not considered acceptable by Debian.  However, the authors told me in
the meantime that the documentation in the release I uploaded was
supposed to be CC-by-SA 3.0, they just forgot to update the license.

Anyway, this should have been fixed in the latest release and a
repackaging should no longer be necessary.

And yeah, it was a bug to not document it.

> Further the versioning is IMO not optimal. What if upstream had released
> 2011_06_2? Can we change to 2011.06.01 instead of the current
> versioning? For the current release it would be 2011.09.1.

AFAICT 2011.09.1 won't work cause that will be sorted lower than 201106
(the currently used version).  We might have to introduce an epoch in
case rdkit upstream changes to a different versioning scheme, but I am
reluctant to do this for that. 2011091 would work, but this would mean
we use a different version number (not just version string) than
upstream, and I do not see the immediate need.  After all, September has
passed by without a second rdkit release.

In case they release twice in a month, we can still think about how to
change the versioning, or why would that be too late?

Michael