[Debichem-devel] Looking for sponsor to promote a new package OSRA

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Dec 19 11:01:04 UTC 2014

Hi Dmitry,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 02:27:59AM +0100, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> > But I need to see your work. At best you have an alioth account and
> > apply for the debichem team, so we can give you permissions to upload to
> > our SVN/GIT repository. You can then make your own path at sf.net [1] an
> > svn:external definition (or vice-versa). How would you like to proceed?
>
> Phh. A bit difficult for me to catch. The debian packaging is part of
> upstream and I can commit there. I can create GitHub repo to keep Debian
> part -- but let's discuss what benefits it brings. I that case I would
> vote for moving of whole upstream to GutHub -- it simplifies pulling
> patches. Ah, I see that there is another replica:
>
> https://github.com/metamolecular/osra.git
>
> I am now not sure how to handle this to make everyone happy. I CC to
> Igor - maybe he would have something to add.

It turned out that having at least a clone at git.debian.org is evident
for teamwork on the Debian package.  Even if upstream does packaging
work this discussion made it obvious that some Debian people can
contribute and also need to contribute if it comes to sponsering a
package.  So I would strongly advise to become a member of the DebiChem
team.  Regarding the technical possibilities I'd recommend to read the
Git section of Debian Med policy[1] (DebiChem does not (yet) have a
written policy but you can apply the principle also in DebiChem team).

> Having that package installed, building OSRA is smooth. I have emailed
> to Cosimo Alfarano <kalfa at debian.org> asking to apply changes and roll
> out v0.50 of GOCR, but haven't received a reply. Maybe it's Christmas
> time :) But do we have plan B concerning how to "force" this change in
> Debian repo?

In case Cosimo will not be responsive in a decent time frame I would
contact him whether he might consider team maintenance in collab-maint.
As far as I know him he is quite open about this.  Just ping me if you
feel that the response time is to slow and turns out as the major show
stopper after all other issues are solved.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-repository-structures

--