[Debichem-devel] Help needed to get rid of cody copy of libpwiz

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Tue Feb 11 13:00:08 UTC 2014

Hi Filippo,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:50:28PM +0100, Filippo Rusconi wrote:
> Greetings Andreas,
>
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 05:07:38PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> >I intend to package biceps[1] (ITP not yet filed) and have prepared some
> >preliminary packaging prepared in the Debian Med Git repository[2].
>
> Please, be kind enough to package that in debichem as it is really a
> biological chemistry application (which I intended to package since I
> discovered it some weeks ago while reviewing a paper that mentioned
> it...). But I'm pleased that you started its packaging. Very nice to
> have it in Debian.

The package is now moved to

   git://anonscm.debian.org/debichem/packages/biceps.git

I really don't mind in what team the package is in - feel free to add
yourself as Uploader.

> >I noticed that it is carrying a code copy of libpwiz and I would like to
> >raplace this by the Debian packaged version.  Unfortunately I'm not that
> >familiar with cmake and strangely enough the biceps build system creates
> >(at least) four static libraries out of the pwiz code copy with
> >different names than we are using in libpwiz-dev.  I wonder whether you
> >might have any helpful hints how I could use the Debian packaged
> >libpwiz.
>
> This is a large library. Please, make sure that all the code is
> free. Proteowizard (the parent project) makes software of different
> kinds: Free Software using Free Computing Stuff (TM) and Free Software
> using proprietary stuff (dotNet, calls to proprietary MS-Windown
> dlls...).
>
> I'll give a look into there as soon as I have some time on my hands...

I'd really appreciate if you could have a look.  The fact that there
might be some hidden licensing problems and the pure fact of potentially
useless code duplication has motivated me to try to drop the pwiz copy
from biceps.  I'd be more than happy if some more competent person in
this field would take over from here.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--