[Debichem-devel] Ownership of changelog (Was: New commit [r-cran-maldiquant]: 03/03: debian/changelog: update to new version 1.16-1)

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Thu Dec 15 22:24:06 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 02:54:28PM +0100, Filippo Rusconi wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 02:32:44PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >when sponsoring some r-cran-* packages I noticed that Sebastian is
> >usually using
> >  "The Debichem Group <debichem-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>"
> >as changelog owner.  As far as I know team maintenance a changelog owner
> >should be always a *person* rather than a team since a specific person
> >is doing the edits.
>
> I had two takes on this: either let the group as the owner of the changelog
> stanza and specify *who* uploads or, alternatively, take ownership of the
> changelog stanza and mention the specific name of the last person checking the
> package.
>
> I failed to discuss this with Sebastian, because I use to modify the changelog
> file as described above. But, true, I agree with you, a finalized changelog
> should mention an actual person as the changelog stanza owner.

Daniel Leider also used to keep the Debichem Group as changelog entry,
at least on uploads he made for packages he does not feel responsible
for as primary contact. That way, you don't have to put yourself in
Maintainers in order to prevent the upload be flagged as NMU.

So I don't mind ether way, but I think it's a useful way to handle this
if you don't feel like you would like to be in the Maintainers field,
but are "just" doing a QA/team upload.

Michael