[Debichem-devel] Gromacs migration to Git (Was: What about SVN to Git migration)

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 09:20:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 6:24 PM Andreas Tille <tille at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I'll take the "no particularly strong opinions" as a "go for it".
>
> My question how to deal with beta versions in d/watch remains: I
> *personally* would exclude beta versions from our observation, but I do
> not know upstream release policy sufficiently enough to decide this
> myself.  The fact that upstream seemd to have a good contact to the
> DebiChem packaging team and informs explicitly about beta versions that
> are worth packaging is IMHO strengthening my suggestion to drop beta
> from watch file since we will be informed by "other means" about
> distributable betas.

I assume you're referring to my recent post about possibly packaging our
latest beta. Our primary motivation is to get the build tested on a wider
range of platforms than we already have in our CI. We have portability and
correctness as high priorities, and a user base that regularly takes a
released tarball and uses it on some platform that we didn't anticipate
when we released it a few years ago (in an annual cycle). That GROMACS just
builds and runs on whatever your new shiny supercomputer is gave us big
market share in Japan (because we were the only major MD code that could
run on the chips in the K computer), and our never-been-tested-before
performance on the new Cavium ARM nodes that are still just coming out was
mentioned multiple times by others at the recent SuperComputing17
conference. Props to DebiChem for helping us with some of the early
portability testing on ARM and Power!

Hope that helps inform your decision!

Mark