[Debichem-devel] What about SVN to Git migration

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Sep 26 14:12:50 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 02:12:39PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> >     https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-repository-structures
> >
> > since my Git workflow fits this.  There are other DebiChem packages
> > following the same structure.
>
> So you're only injecting the current upstream version into git, not all
> previous ones?

Yes.  Its a trade of between git svn restoring all our commits and
  gbp import-dscs --debsnap --pristine-tar
which just restores full uploads.  IMHO conserving our commits is more
informative.  If somebody might want upstream source snapshot.d.o can
be used (and if needed imported manually).

> Anyway, I tried to use gbp buildpackage once or twice and found it
> convoluted, so I'd have to look into that again.

I never used svn-buildpackage since I never got it running.  I was way
more lucky with gbp.

> The pkg-postgresql team (which I've been contributing to a quite a bit
> in the recent past on company team) is using a debian/ only model
> (probably mostly due ot the svn migration, which I guess is much easier
> this way), which so far I had no issues working with.

Fine for me as well.

> > In Debian Med policy I've also given a step by step description how to
> > do the migration.  The used script might need very minor modifications
> > for debichem and the authors file shuold be close to complete.
>
> I'll take a look.

I'd recommend writing it down somewhere for DebiChem (in some kind of
policy document

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--