[Debichem-devel] Python 3.9 for bullseye

Matthias Klose doko at debian.org
Mon Nov 9 09:19:59 GMT 2020

On 10/23/20 1:07 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 10/18/20 12:13 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> Python 3.9 as a supported Python3 version is now in unstable, and all binNMUs
>> are done (thanks to Graham for the work).   Bug reports should be all filed for
>> all known problems [1], and the current state of the 3.9 addition can be seen at
>> [2] (a few of the "bad" are false packages with b-d n python3-all-dev, but not
>> building for 3.9, bug reports also filed).
>>
>> The major outstanding issue is the pandas stack, all other problems are found in
>> leaf packages (leaf in the sense of that no other package for the 3.9 addition
>> is blocked).
>>
>> Please help fixing the remaining issues!
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> [1]
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=python3.9;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org
>> [2] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9.html
>
> Going on with a test rebuild of 3.9 as default to file bug reports for more
> packages.  The first stage1 packages for 3.9 as default [1] can be found at
>
>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~doko/tmp/python3.9 ./
>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~ginggs/python3.9-repo ./
>
> The first repo just having the python3-defaults packages from experimental. The
> second repo of course will be outdated very soon ...  Bug reports for stage1 are
> filed, Graham is now running the test builds for stage2.
>
> The autopkg test results at [2] need checking. There's currently a britney bug
> which marks things as bad, and only gets it right after a week. Plus there's no
> way to select an "unrelated" package from unstable for a test, and have it
> marked as a successful test.  So basically you need to wait until all the 3.9
> related fixes migrate to testing for running a successful autopkg test.
>
> Matthias
>
> [1] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9-default.html
> [2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python3-defaults

 - python3-defaults now migrated to testing.  The following packages were
   removed from testing with fastened hints.

   numba
   python-executing
   python-fabio
   python-icecream
   python-molotov
   supysonic

 - The Python related ftbfs issues from the last archive test rebuild
   were user-tagged with 'python3.9', although I didn't make much
   effort to determine if these are ftbfs seen for 3.9 only, or for
   both 3.8 and 3.9.  dh-python now supports building and testing for
   all supported python version before bailing out in case of errors,
   but this came too late for the test rebuild.

   issues for key packages (those with lots of dependencies) are:

    https://bugs.debian.org/973056 src:sphinx-tabs
    https://bugs.debian.org/973057 src:python-py
    https://bugs.debian.org/973061 src:nototools
    https://bugs.debian.org/973072 src:python-kubernetes