[Debichem-devel] Python 3.9 for bullseye

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Wed Nov 11 02:27:33 GMT 2020

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 22:20, Matthias Klose <doko at debian.org> wrote:

> [...]
> filed for
> >> all known problems [1], and the current state of the 3.9 addition can
> be seen at
> >> [2] (a few of the "bad" are false packages with b-d n python3-all-dev,
> but not
> >> building for 3.9, bug reports also filed).
> >>
> >> The major outstanding issue is the pandas stack, all other problems are
> found in
> >> leaf packages (leaf in the sense of that no other package for the 3.9
> addition
> >> is blocked).
> >>
> >> Please help fixing the remaining issues!
> >>
> >> Matthias
> >>
> >> [1]
> >>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=python3.9;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org
> >> [2] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9.html
> >
> > Going on with a test rebuild of 3.9 as default to file bug reports for
> more
> > packages.  The first stage1 packages for 3.9 as default [1] can be found
> at
> >
> >   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~doko/tmp/python3.9 ./
> >   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~ginggs/python3.9-repo ./
> >
> > The first repo just having the python3-defaults packages from
> experimental. The
> > second repo of course will be outdated very soon ...  Bug reports for
> stage1 are
> > filed, Graham is now running the test builds for stage2.
> >
> > The autopkg test results at [2] need checking. There's currently a
> britney bug
> > which marks things as bad, and only gets it right after a week. Plus
> there's no
> > way to select an "unrelated" package from unstable for a test, and have
> it
> > marked as a successful test.  So basically you need to wait until all
> the 3.9
> > related fixes migrate to testing for running a successful autopkg test.
> >
> > Matthias
> >
> > [1] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9-default.html
> > [2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python3-defaults
>
>  - python3-defaults now migrated to testing.  The following packages were
>    removed from testing with fastened hints.
>
>    numba
>    python-executing
>    python-fabio
>    python-icecream
>    python-molotov
>    supysonic
>
>  - The Python related ftbfs issues from the last archive test rebuild
>    were user-tagged with 'python3.9', although I didn't make much
>    effort to determine if these are ftbfs seen for 3.9 only, or for
>    both 3.8 and 3.9.  dh-python now supports building and testing for
>    all supported python version before bailing out in case of errors,
>    but this came too late for the test rebuild.
>
>    issues for key packages (those with lots of dependencies) are:

Fixed.

>     https://bugs.debian.org/973057 src:python-py

Fixed.

>     https://bugs.debian.org/973061 src:nototools

Pasted a trivial fix to the bug. I guess it could be NMUed (it's not a
Python team package).

>     https://bugs.debian.org/973072 src:python-kubernetes

I patched the failures (see the bug) but then the build hangs for me.

>     https://bugs.debian.org/973087 src:python-fs

Fixed, but I forgot to put the Closes: #xxx in the changelog.

>     https://bugs.debian.org/973114 src:python-future
>     https://bugs.debian.org/973121 src:cairocffi
>     https://bugs.debian.org/973126 src:responses
>     https://bugs.debian.org/973134 src:python-webob
>     https://bugs.debian.org/973165 src:pyflakes

Fixed.

>     https://bugs.debian.org/973167 src:ufonormalizer
>     https://bugs.debian.org/973168 src:pylint

This looks confusing! Upstream is thinking about it but I'm not sure what
their ETA is.

>     https://bugs.debian.org/973193 src:parso
>     https://bugs.debian.org/973195 src:python-asyncssh
>     https://bugs.debian.org/973239 src:python-fixtures