[Debichem-devel] debichem, update suggest Jmol 2016 to a version of 2021

Andrius Merkys merkys at debian.org
Tue Feb 16 16:12:47 GMT 2021

Hi Norwid,

On 2021-02-15 16:47, Norwid Behrnd wrote:
> aiming to generate a short animation with the visualizer Jmol in
> Linux Debian 10, I noticed that the version currently available in
> the repositories is substantially more senior (14.6.4_2016.11.05),
> than the one one may fetch from sourceforge (14.31.32; starting the
> program, the splash screen there extends the copyright to current
> 2021).  It is possible to fetch the archives from sourceforge's
> dedicated web site
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/jmol/
>
> and to run the program successfully.  Still, if there are no
> technical reasons obstructing the following, I would like to suggest
> to preview an update of the repositories about this program in the
> course of the year.
Jmol in Debian is indeed lagging behind - Debian 11 will most likely be
released with the same Jmol 2016 version. As far as I understand, this
is due to the technical reasons, as Jmol is quite complicated to
package. Recent attempts to update Jmol in Debian are summarized in this
thread [1]. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=719330

Best wishes,
Andrius