[Debichem-devel] Bug#1148071: Bug#1148071: liblapackpp-dev: liblapackpp.a is not PIC, cannot be linked into shared libraries

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Fri Sep 25 06:54:15 BST 2026


Hi Mark,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 11:56:32AM -0400, Mark Gates wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2026 at 9:19 AM Michael Banck <mbanck at gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2026 at 10:24:46AM -0700, Axel Huebl wrote:
> > > Suggested fix: ship also the shared library, which is the upstream
> > > default (upstream sets SOVERSION, i.e. liblapackpp.so.1 for
> > > 2024.10.26).
> >
> > Well I thought about this when I initially packaged it, but upstream
> > *did seem* to have strict library versioning guarantees when I looked at
> > it, but maybe I was missing something?
> 
> Do you mean "did" or "did not" have strict library versioning?

Yeah, I meant did not, sorry.
 
> LAPACK++ uses calendar versioning for releases, but its ABI version should
> be strict semantic versioning. The ABI is 2.0.0 since the last release; see
> this commit:
> 
> * 298ac33 2025-05-28 01:44 Mark Gates  Update ABI and Changelog

Thanks, that great to hear. We will move forward with adding a shared
library then.


Michael



More information about the Debichem-devel mailing list