[Design-devel] Graphic contribution for wiki and general communication

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Apr 20 14:26:18 UTC 2015

Hi Juliette,

Quoting juliette Belin (2015-04-20 15:09:45)
>> Please just dive in and share what you feel are design'ish with
>> Debian. Perhaps not as a polished SVG infrgraph at first - maybe a
>> long list of words that come to your mind, or whatever feels more
>> convenient for you.
>
>> Others reading this are obviously more than welcome to chime in too!
>> :-)
>
> It isn't easy to clarify what I think would be useful for a first
> infographic. I was not thinking about something for designer only but
> for the whole debian community, especially for new contributors.
>
> I'm not aware of all teams in debian, and I don't know how they work
> together. Is something written about this ? Or a talk during a debconf
> ?
>
> For a first infographic i was thinking about something more "basic",
> like a workflow to describe : How to create and submit a package (I've
> met a lot of people not in debian interested in this kind of visual
> help).

Reason I suggested you to start with design was because a) that part of
Debian is likely most familar for you to begin with and b) no part of
Debian covers "the whole debian community" as you phrase it - not even
packaging, even though most of us are involved with that.

I expect that you will have plenty challenges already, creating an
infographic about a topic likely more familiar to you on "How a Designer
can get involved with Debian". That might involve version-controlled
tracking of master drawing and other elements, finding and ensuring
compatibility between licenses for each included graphical element, and
collaboration with the localization team on translating text elements
into many languages - and somehow dealing with how varying size text
strings affect space allocated for it.

I thought that visualizing a familiar topic first would be an easier
start - both for you and for others you want to collaborate with - than
tackling topics more alien to you: understanding and re-visualizing
images in the heads of _other_ geeks.

If you've already made up your mind and the infographic you want to do
will be about packaging, then by all means go for it!  That area of
Debian is certainly the largest.  If so, then I hope you will later come
back to covering design too, as that is an area very weakly covered
currently (there are even _books_ about how to make Debian packages).

Enjoy whatever you choose to work on :-)

 - Jonas