[Design-devel] translate "Debian Design"? (the name of the blend)

Laura Arjona Reina larjona at debian.org
Sat Jan 30 11:21:35 UTC 2016

On 30 de enero de 2016 11:47:06 GMT+01:00, Siri Reiter <siri at jones.dk> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 01/28/2016 11:31 PM, Rahul Kondi wrote:
>> I like the idea of Debian <design-in-your-language>
>> That sounds like good design.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016, 23:03 Laura Arjona Reina <larjona at debian.org
>> <mailto:larjona at debian.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Debian Design friends
>>
>> (Please CC me, I'm not subscribed).
>>
>> Thanks for working in making Debian more attractive for designers.
>>
>> Information about blends arrived the main Debian website
>> (www.debian.org/blends <http://www.debian.org/blends>) and in the
>> Spanish language team we are
>> thinking about if translating the names of the blends or not.
>>
>> We would do what you consider better, and we'll do our best to keep
>> consistency across website, package descriptions, etc.
>>
>> Should "Debian Design" (the name of the blend) be translated? In
>> Spanish it would be "Debian Diseño". Or better to keep it as
>> is, as a "brand"?
>

>I see potential confusion, but maybe I'm wrong.
>
>What is the precedence? Have any other blend names been translated?

So far, most of the answers have been to keep as is, as a brand, except for Debian Games, and Debian Science (here two different opinions).

>What are your experience from the localization team?

We talked about it in the language team and opinions were: leave "as is"/do what each blend team decide.

Other languages (french, russian), so far, don't translate, I think.

Best

Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona