[Design-devel] Looking for colors to identify Debian releases

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Oct 23 02:51:17 UTC 2016

Hi Christoph (cc design list - please subscribe if not already),

Quoting Christoph Biedl (2016-10-22 13:20:43)
> monitoring and visualizing several processes based on different Debian
> distributions I realized recognition was easier if distributions had
> the same color everywhere. The graphing tools like gnoplot or rrdtool
> have a default default palette, of course they are all different. So
> I'm looking for a unified color schema.
>
> This leads to a concept of "Debian release colors": Colors that
> identify a release. The important purpose is distinguishability, so no
> two of the (up to) five running releases may have the same or even
> similar color.
>
> Is there anything like this around and I didn't find it? Or should I
> follow up with detailled ideas?

Fun idea!  I am not aware of anything like this existing already.

Yes, please throw more details - that might help encourage input from
others!

Perhaps an easy start was to implement as base16 themes?

Base16 is a generalization of the Solarized color system:
http://chriskempson.com/projects/base16/

I am considering a) packaging base16 for Debian, and b) try make a GTK+
theming engine tied to it.  Having release-oriented color schemes would
be a fun option for that :-)

 - Jonas