[Fingerforce-devel] ThinkFinger in unstable?

Miguel Gea Milvaques xerakko at debian.org
Sun Sep 2 18:25:17 UTC 2007

Luca Capello wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Except from the already known errors (missing integration with some
> tools due to buggy PAM implementations [1][2][3] and an already known
> SSH segfault [4][5]), I'm not aware of any big problem with
> thinkfinger in Debian [6].
>
> Now that PAM-0.99 landed in unstable [7], I'm going to rebuilt the
> experimental packages with the new PAM.  Thus, I propose to target
> unstable instead of experimental, for different reasons.
>
> 1) it seems that thinkfinger development has stalled a bit (the last
>    SVN commit is 5-month-old)

Yes...
> 2) experimental poses a big problem for backports: only packages in
>    testing can be in the official backporst.org repository [8], this
>    means that all etch users cannot install it (especially packages
>    built with newer PAM versions)
>
> 3) while I completely agree with Miguel about going for experimental
>    because of [9], since the new PAM module is still "vacant", it's
>    time to provide a working solution at least for now (and then
>    manage the transition)

It has 41 installations in popcorn without any rc bug report (a lot of
installations if we think it's in experimental!).

I'm steel working in daemon pam and modules. It needs a lot of work and
a lot of testing, so I think
it will be enought madure for Lenny+1 (If Lenny release time is not too
large).

I agree now is time to let it enter unstable (testing and backports).
I'm sure it's going to have a lot of
installations in unstable. It will be interesting to do a call for
testing it to avoid problems.