[Freedombox-discuss] Dehierarchicalization (e.g. avoiding DNS) is imperative?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Oct 7 11:08:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:42:11PM +0200, paxcoder wrote:
>On 10/07/2010 11:17 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>If you mean to say that we have decided to not use DNS then I
>>disagree.
>
>Dehierarchicalization being a goal is a fact, there's nothing to decide
>there: We can only kick it out if we decide we (well, you people) won't
>respect it. I hate what is sometimes done to Debian's community's
>agreement, and I'd hate to see us make the same compromises. Having an
>option is fine, but settling for lesser solutions is not what FB is
>about.

Where and when did above become a "fact"?

>It really isn't, and if you can't see that, I can't help you see that
>any more than I already did.

Where and when did you even try help me understand?

>I hope we won't wait that long, there are people who seem to know
>things about the subject, perhaps there's someone working on this as we
>speak?

You mean someone working on locating the needed combination of stable
Debian packages to install?  Or someone working on inventing,
programming, testing, getting packaged, testing and releasing as part of
a distro - so that _then_ we can install it as a reliable, stable tool?

Do you expect e.g. Diaspora to be usable by the masses in a week?

>>I certainly am interested in relaxing dependency on all things
>>central, including DNS.
>
>Good, what are we fighting about then? I wanted us to agree about our
>goal: Choosing distributed services *over* centralized ones is an
>imperative - wherever possible.

I guess we are fighting over whether FreedomBox is the house to live in
when we reach the promised land, or the wessel to get there.

>I'll continue giving you a hard time,

Excellent.  You are not doing so yet, however: A hard time is what you
give me when you support your claims with something more substantial -
like references to emails where things was discussed/decided or perhaps
a timestamp during the recording of one of Ebens talks when he declares
what you claim he declares.

Please do try harder! ;-)

Kind regards,