[Freedombox-discuss] TahoeFS

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Oct 24 20:21:36 UTC 2010

Hi Arthur,

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 09:36:10PM +0200, Arthur Lutz wrote:
>Debian packages are generated for tahoe, but getting them into
>repositories has not been automated yet,

Great.

Please note, however the fundamental difference between the terms
"Debian packages" and "Debian packages".

Debian packages == software packaged in the dpkg format

Debian packages == software officially part of Debian

Quite confusingly both terms are expressed equally. :-P

I tend to use "packages in Debian" or "official Debian packages" to
enphasize what I purely[1] want on my FreedomBox.

Others might be happy with packages produced by upstream authors, Ubuntu
or someone else.

  - Jonas

[1] Not entirely true: I also allow self-compiled packages on my
systems, and trust my packages[2] to be useful for others too.  But
anyone should judge for themselves, not just trust me ;-)

[2] Last I counted there was 500+ backported and/or tuned packages in my
pile here: http://debian.jones.dk/