[Freedombox-discuss] TahoeFS

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Oct 24 20:11:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 03:04:25PM -0400, rohit mehta wrote:
>Hi Jonas, you are right it does appear that tahoe-lafs package is not
>yet "officially" in Debian although there are package repositories and
>it is in the Ubuntu repositories.

Ubuntu packaging is not always of same quality as in Debian.

Don't know if that is the case here, just poining out a _possible_
reason for the package to exist in Ubuntu and not Debian.

>I read this: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=544338

Ah, great that you located the bug number.

Just a side note: A shorter URL works too: http://bugs.debian.org/544338
- I have no idea why it is expanded to that ugly longer URL.

>But I'm not sure I understand what has to happen to get the Tahoe in
>Debian officially.  It does look very powerful.

Well, judging from the bugreport, it needs a volunteer with time and
packaging knowledge.

Micah has already offered to step aside and/or sponsor if others
volunteer to do the work.  If packaging with Git and CDBS[1] I am happy
to help too.  But someone needs to step up and volunteer - not only for
throwing the packaging together, but for *maintaining* it ongoing into
the future!

Let me emphasize: It does *not* need an official Debian Developer.  But
it does need someone already knowledgeable in packagning a Python
package - simply because both Micah and I are quite busy so cannot offer
to train a newbe.

  - Jonas

[1] I am involved in the maintainance of 140+ packages in Debian, and
can only keep up with that by streamlining to consistently use CDBS and
git-buildpackage.  Both because they are powerful and because they
happen to be the ones I am most fluent in juggling with. It obviously
helps here that I am the main developer of CDBS ;-)