[Freedombox-discuss] Introducing myself

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Apr 8 16:20:09 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I recently sent an introduction message to the nextnet list, and figured
I should the same here!
I want to apologize for just jumping into the list discussion without
properly introducing myself.

My name is Charles Wyble and I'm a system operations guy. I've worked
for numerous major global brands (Disney/Fox/Evite.com/Intuit), various
defense contractors and numerous small startups. I have extensive
experience with global scale web operations, everything from (R)DBMS to
CDN optimization. Lots of security work etc etc etc.

I was based in Los Angeles for several years and have recently relocated
to the Austin TX area for a large hosting provider.

After working at all these large entities I learned a lot about big
operations. I also saw the level of data mining that went on. It was
very revealing.

As I mentioned the other day, ( at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-April/001305.html

)  I have been working on building an
implementation of the FreedomBox (well the software pieces anyway).

I am very excited that FreedomBox has put a brand around the concept of
data ownership. I look forward to participating in the process of
turning that concept into a complete hardware/software stack that let's
folks own their data.  Hopefully my post wasn't too over the top, or off
base. If so please let me know!

My previous engagement ended with shipping a working mesh based on the
excellent work done by the VillageTelco.org folks and assisting in the
production of a howto for folks to follow in order to make their own
mesh very quickly. That can be found
at
http://wiki.villagetelco.org/index.php?title=How_To_Set_up_Small_Campus_/_Small_Enterprise_Network

I'm excited to have found this list and to be engaged in the process.

My website is at http://www.knownelement.com which links to my wiki and
blog. Everything I do is open source and I am very
open about the progress as I go along (via my twitter feed at
twitter.com/charlesnw and my blog/wiki).

My data ownership wiki page is at
http://wiki.knownelement.com/index.php?title=Data_Ownership << This
captures what I consider
a 1.0 (data off the cloud onto programs/sites I control).

I consider 1.5 being a Tahoe-lafs backup system and 2.0 being a multi
site active/active architecture that's easy to setup. 3.0/3.5 being
increasingly amounts of security/encryption/anonymity bits.

I"m actively working towards making these milestones happen and to ship
completed technology platforms that others can do great things with!

Onward!