[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 06:27:40 UTC 2011

I'd like to echo PoorRichard's sentiment.

I am following the FreedomBox list, This looks great
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud

Over the summer, I am pulling together a small grid of 2 or more plug
computers that can run these kinds of services (plus possibly other
hardware). Perhaps there are already plans in place for how to do this on
freedombox, but I am thinking about how to run 2-3 plugs as a cluster of
Freedombox servers. I am also going to implement some of what we discuss at
http://blog.futureforwardinstitute.com/2011/04/01/a-nextnet-proof-of-concept

I've also done some work to get ubuntu/apache (or nginx) and python/PHP/Ruby
talking with Arduino (mostly in service of
http://www.appropedia.org/Food_Commons_Rain_Water_Hydroponics I have been
working on at appropedia). So, a Freedombox can talk with electronics and
sensor networks/actuators in addition to being a personal serving OS (as
I've already proven by making this work with Arduino and Ubuntu). This is
potentially powerful for people engaged in urban and rural hoop house
indoor/outdoor/hoop house food production. They will be able to optimize
limited space, and existing rainwater resources, based on plant species, and
local environmental factors. The application I am creating will allow people
to share data gathered from sensors too. Currently storing data in
postgresql but may move to couchdb, or eventually some form of distributed
iRODS

I can also see some plug computers acting as relays, distributed storage,
and more (running Freedombox). I am interested in creating some of these
newer services in Erlang. Also interested in Freedombox +
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio for wide area mesh networking.
Would be cool to eventually see GNU Radio packages supported in Freedombox,
personally.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Poor Richard <poor.ricardo at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't know how much Charles may have already described the FreedomBox
> project he is working on, but since I joined the mail list I have been
> getting pretty excited about it. The wikipedia page
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomBox says:
>
> "The project currently describes a *FreedomBox* as
>  “ a personal server running a free software operating system, with free
> applications designed to create and preserve personal privacy. ”
> The project aims to develop a software stack that can run on plug
> computers <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_computer> that can easily be
> located in individual residences or offices. By promoting a decentralized
> deployment of hardware, the project hopes that FreedomBoxes will "provide
> privacy in normal life, and safe communications for people seeking to
> preserve their freedom in oppressive regimes."
>
> A "plug computer" is an inexpensive little plug and play appliance that
> goes between your pc and/or router and your ISP connection. The FreedomBox
> is a self-contained unit with a pre-installed suite of anti-surveillance,
> anti-blocking, and social networking software that can be used in its
> default configuration without any user expertise. Optionally, the
> applications can be further user-configured and they can also be installed
> directly on a pc or other user-supplied hardware instead of on a plug
> computer. (Personally I love the appliance version because it offloads a lot
> of cpu work from my pc.)
>
> The FreedomBox developers are going to be integrating existing free
> software with new components/layers as needed. Members of the Next Net group
> might have insights to offer on tools and approaches.
>
> Charles:
>
> 1) is there any ETA for FreedomBox yet?
> 2) has there been much discussion of INVISIBILITY vs simple
> anonymity/encription/etc (which can raise red flags and draw scrutiny)?
>
> PR

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://futureforwardinstitute.com
http://forwardfound.org
http://hollymeadcapital.com
http://p2pfoundation.net
http://socialmediaclassroom.com

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition."
- Carl Sagan