[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Thu Apr 14 07:05:39 UTC 2011

On 04/14/2011 01:27 AM, Samuel Rose wrote:
> I am following the FreedomBox list, This looks great
> http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud

It's an awesome resource! I found some great stuff there that I didn't
already know about. Like Yacy for distributed search.

> Over the summer, I am pulling together a small grid of 2 or more plug
> computers that can run these kinds of services (plus possibly other
> hardware). Perhaps there are already plans in place for how to do this
> on freedombox, but I am thinking about how to run 2-3 plugs as a
> cluster of Freedombox servers. I am also going to implement some of
> what we discuss at
> http://blog.futureforwardinstitute.com/2011/04/01/a-nextnet-proof-of-concept

Excellent. I'm sure folks here can help you through this process. Very
good idea to have a cluster. Might I suggest plugging in Atheros chipset
USB wifi adapters and playing with mesh? I happen to have a three node
mesh of ubiquity gear running (well it was running, I moved and now am
putting it back together with new firmware) :) Very soon. More mesh
testbeds are needed. It's pretty mature technology, and I want folks to
evangelize that fact so I don't have to keep correcting people when they
say it's "prototype" :)

> I've also done some work to get ubuntu/apache (or nginx) and
> python/PHP/Ruby talking with Arduino (mostly in service of
> http://www.appropedia.org/Food_Commons_Rain_Water_Hydroponics I have
> been working on at appropedia). So, a Freedombox can talk with
> electronics and sensor networks/actuators in addition to being a
> personal serving OS (as I've already proven by making this work with
> Arduino and Ubuntu).

AWESOME!!!

> This is potentially powerful for people engaged in urban and rural
> hoop house indoor/outdoor/hoop house food production. They will be
> able to optimize limited space, and existing rainwater resources,
> based on plant species, and local environmental factors. The
> application I am creating will allow people to share data gathered
> from sensors too. Currently storing data in postgresql but may move to
> couchdb, or eventually some form of distributed iRODS

Sweet! Great practical application of FreedomBox, for folks who aren't
(currently) getting shot at. It can also have the mesh/security etc all
built in and ready to go when the time comes. Also think of it as an
alternative network for when existing wireless/wired local loops collapse.

> I can also see some plug computers acting as relays, distributed
> storage, and more (running Freedombox). I am interested in creating
> some of these newer services in Erlang.

Ah yes. Erlang is great stuff for distributed, parallel processing.

> Also interested in Freedombox +
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio for wide area mesh networking.

Hmmmm. Not sure how that would work. I will need to ponder on it. I
would recommend looking at 3650mhz (802.11y) and 802.22 and how that can
be implemented with GNURadio (802.22 in particular, lots of cheap
3650mhz gear readily available either as a complete radio or a PCI card
from ubnt.com).

> Would be cool to eventually see GNU Radio packages supported in
> Freedombox, personally.

Yeah that could be useful. Especially for alternate communication
purposes. I hadn't even thought of using GNURadio for this stuff. It's
quite low level and seemed oriented heavily towards the USRP or other
hardware solutions like the one from Microsoft Research (
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/sora/ )

Some interesting work going on implementing SDR algos in GPU platforms
as well.

--
Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com @charlesnw
http://blog.knownelement.com