[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap / Wishlists

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 00:35:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 7:51 AM, AnotherPeasant <versparis at gmail.com> wrote:

> There should be an easy way for any user, even one not familiar with CLI, to
> "self-destruct" their FB.  I mean  secure data deletions, as fast and as
> complete as possible.

Deletion is not the only way. Any encrypted data can be made unreadable
instantly simply by destroying the key. This is much faster, but it does not
provide deniability. If you are dealing with people who will try to beat the
key out of you, that could be a major problem.

Of course such people will likely try to beat the information out of you
whatever you do to protect it, so having an unreadable lump of
encrypted data may in practice be no worse than having a bricked
machine.