[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap / Wishlists

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 05:31:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM, AnotherPeasant <versparis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you remember where that study was, or have a link?

Here's one link, from another list. I doubt that this is the only study
in the area, but it is the only one I know.

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli at inbox.ru>
Date: Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM
Subject: [cryptography] Reliably Erasing Data From Flash-Based Solid
State Drives
To: cryptography at randombit.net

<http://www.usenix.org/events/fast11/tech/full_papers/Wei.pdf>:

 We empirically evaluate the effectiveness of hard
 drive-oriented techniques and of the SSDs' built-in
 sanitization commands by extracting raw data from the SSD's
 flash chips after applying these techniques and commands. Our
 results lead to three conclusions: First, built-in commands
 are effective, but manufacturers sometimes implement them
 incorrectly. Second, overwriting the entire visible address
 space of an SSD twice is usually, but not always, sufficient
 to sanitize the drive. Third, none of the existing hard
 drive-oriented techniques for individual file sanitization are
 effective on SSDs.

--
Regards,
ASK