[Freedombox-discuss] On small programs

Alex Stapleton alexs at prol.etari.at
Wed Apr 20 08:00:10 UTC 2011

The main reason for smaller libraries is to save RAM. I think that even today a few hundred MB of SLC Flash and DRAM would not make the cost targets impossible and by the time a FB makes it to market...

E.g. I am currently working with an industrial ARM9 SCADA system with 64MB of RAM and 128MB of Flash and no swap. Most of the software it runs is written in standard CPython as shipped with Debian Lenny. It has SSH, Samba and Apache2 running mod_wsgi among other things. Its not at all tight on disk space although an extra 64 MB of RAM would be apreciated and only add a few pounds to the total cost. Or we could just and make some obvious low hanging optimisations.

I dont really think that the memory pressure will be high enough to make the use of embedded libraries a requirement unless you really want to fit everything on a cheap MIPS WiFi AP.