[Freedombox-discuss] inspirational projects / freedombox neighbours

Michael Blizek michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Sat Apr 23 06:41:36 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 17:06 Fri 22 Apr     , Jaromil wrote:
> i'm sure people here know many... I for one like to start with this
> link http://k0a1a.net/netless since it's quite fresh and mostly
> inspirational :)

Transporting data by moving the physical storage is surely a way to get good
throughput over distances which cannot be covered by "normal" mesh networks.
But I do not think that randomly copying data will achieve good performance. I
guess the total amount of data people would want to share is in the range of
several petabytes. If 1-of-1000 nodes have the file you want and you can only
exchange a small part on every contact, you need to have *lots* of nodes
passing by - and hope that they do not jam each others radio.
It would prorably be way faster if:
1) Have a metadata network with lower latency for sharing who has+wants
   certain data.
2) We can predict where every node will move (e.g. by looking at their
   movements in the past).
3) Have some non-mobile nodes with storage so that the time window for data
   exchange between 2 nodes moving in opposite directions get larger.

Then there is the question on how this could be integraded into applications
without too invasive changes. Actually there is also the question which
applications can live with the latencies this system would cause.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com