[Freedombox-discuss] Harddrive + Excito B3

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Apr 29 14:53:30 UTC 2011

On 11-04-29 at 07:10am, Lorenzo wrote:
> I'm looking into some hardware to buy to start testing few
> Freedombox-related ideas. I came to the conclusion that having an hard
> drive inside the box is a must for the following reasons:
>
> 1) Storage space: I need lots of GB to store photos, etc.
> 2) Wear: I'm not very comfortable on having R/W data on cheap compact
>    flash
> 3) Simplicity: With an hard-drive I can install a normal debian
>    without having to setup a readonly root, security updates are also
>    easier
>
> Do those reason make sense? Am I overlooking something?

Those are good arguments for using harddrive instead of flash drive, but
not for requiring it to be inside same box as the computer.

Here are a few arguments for putting the harddrive separate from the
computer, attached with a USB cable:

  * Heat easier gets away (less likely need of a noisy fan)
  * Wider choice - some want it small, others want RAID...
  * You can use same hardware as is actually the aim of the FreedomBox:
    Cheap Plug devices!

Kind regards,