[Freedombox-discuss] Mobile Freedom OS

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Mon Aug 1 21:41:49 UTC 2011

Hi Nathan,

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:21 AM, nathan nolast <nathan1465 at gmail.com> wrote:
> a phone that joins the dark/mesh network can also act as an intermediary
> node for the entire network, a large network is a strong network, and cell
> phones are growing like crazy.
>
> if you ask me, phone communication is just as important as other proposed
> methods of communication. considering pretty much all mobile service
> providers are moving towards capping data, throttling speeds, and the
> concentration of ownership between the super large carriers makes for some
> really strong incentives for this type of technology. The idea of using my
> smart phone to connect to a community driven cell network which could also
> connect to our mesh/darknet Internet without paying for access, without
> usage limitations, and without speed constraints is a very intriguing  idea.
> The development of such a network would be a monster, but well worth it. I
> would love to see the effect this would have 20 years down the road on cell
> phone based services, and for that matter landline Internet services ect ect
> ect. My ISP and cellular carrier would no longer be the mob, standing in
> between my access to free information

Well, we have already created the monster for selected android phones
at least.  You can even keep using your own phone number (or pick a
new one), and you just dial as you normally would, but with calls
routing over the mesh where possible.

You can grab the source or compiled APK from the developer area at
ServalProject.org.  You're more than welcome to help breathe more life
into the monster if you are super keen ;)

We are also in the process of adding piles of
infrastructure-independent features and services over the coming
months.  For example, we are on the verge of having a mapping system
that shares open street map tiles between phones on a mesh (geographic
locality is very helpful sometimes :), and then lets you post
geo-tagged information on the map, all without requiring internet
access or any "server".

Paul.