[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox Webserver

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Aug 2 21:21:40 UTC 2011

On 11-08-02 at 10:53pm, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> >> Of the two, isn't Apache httpd the only one that supports WebID
> >> (currently)? I don't know of any WebID support in nginx.
> >
> > There are two implementations of WebID in Debian currently:
> >
> >  * libapache2-mod-authn-webid - Apache module written in C
> >  * libcgi-auth-foaf-ssl-perl - CGI script library written in Perl
>
> Apache has good support for WebID in that there are custom apache mods
> developed by Tim BL's team at MIT that can do much of the heavy
> lifting.
>
> However any web server that can handle SSL and passes the results on
> to the underlying script should theoretically work with WebID.  Apache
> is by far the most tested tho..

Indeed any SSL-capable server can act as a WebID _Identification_ Agent
by having it use an SSL certificate with WebID hinting embeddded.

Mechanisms as provided by above mentioned packages are needed, however,
for a host to act as a WebID _Verification_ Agent.

FreedomBox should IMO be both Identification and Verification Agent.