[Freedombox-discuss] Simple way to help out here and now very concretely

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Aug 3 10:20:24 UTC 2011

On 11-08-03 at 11:58am, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 3 August 2011 11:49, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> > On 11-08-03 at 01:41am, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> >> Which is the actual XMPP server prosody or ejabberd?

[details on APT dependency resolving and official decision snippet]

> Incidentally, I normally also run openfire on my local box and on an
> always on cloud.

If you feel that Openfire is a good candidate for use with FreedomBox,
please help get it packaged for Debian!

I personally have no experience with that particular daemon, and since
it is written in Java (which I generally rule out as being too heavy
burden) I have no special interest in trying it out now.

One benefit of OpenFire is that OneSocialWeb depends on it. OneSocialWeb
seems to me to be the most mature of the decentral social networking
systems in development at the moment - unfortunately (as mentioned
above) it is written in Java. :-(

Personally I bet on BuddyCloud for decentral social networking (and am
working on packaging the soon to be finalized version 0.0.1), as it is
implemented as XMPP addons independent of core XMPP daemon, so more
lightweight and more likely to inspire multiple competing
implementations if it gains momentum.

> Very happy to help test jwchat with anyone that gets this working.  :)

Great!