[Freedombox-discuss] Simple way to help out here and now very concretely

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:33:41 UTC 2011

On 3 August 2011 12:20, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On 11-08-03 at 11:58am, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
> [details on APT dependency resolving and official decision snippet]
>
>> Incidentally, I normally also run openfire on my local box and on an
>> always on cloud.
>
> If you feel that Openfire is a good candidate for use with FreedomBox,
> please help get it packaged for Debian!
>
> I personally have no experience with that particular daemon, and since
> it is written in Java (which I generally rule out as being too heavy
> burden) I have no special interest in trying it out now.
>
> One benefit of OpenFire is that OneSocialWeb depends on it. OneSocialWeb
> seems to me to be the most mature of the decentral social networking
> systems in development at the moment - unfortunately (as mentioned
> above) it is written in Java. :-(

Yes, I use openfire with OneSocialWeb, but the project isnt super
active right now.

It is quite heavyweight (maybe the web console even requires tomcat im
not sure), should be no issue using a smaller footprint daemon,
hopefully they are interoperate.

> Personally I bet on BuddyCloud for decentral social networking (and am
> working on packaging the soon to be finalized version 0.0.1), as it is
> implemented as XMPP addons independent of core XMPP daemon, so more
> lightweight and more likely to inspire multiple competing
> implementations if it gains momentum.

Makes sense to add a social extension to XMPP.  Buddycloud looks like
a good fit.

There's quite a few decentral social nets in development right now.
None of them are really facebook killers, yet.  I think the ones that
make an effort federate together will become quite a force.

Freedom box has a big advantage in that every user has their own
machine.  This scales way better than a "walled garden" which has to
manage 1000s of users per box in an ever growing data center.