[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Aug 10 12:12:43 UTC 2011

On 11-08-10 at 11:39am, Marc Manthey wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2011, at 10:39 AM, ya knygar wrote:
>
> >What programming languages does the latest Buddycloud use/plans to
> >use?
> >

> a quick google with ".coffee"
>
> https://github.com/buddycloud/channel-server/blob/master/src/xmpp/connection.coffee

Buddycloud encourage multiple implementations.

Initial release of the "channel server" part is implemented mainly in
node.js.  An alternative implementation is expected as integral part of
next major Prosody release, written (as rest of Prosody) in Lua.

Multiple client parts is in the works, some targeted for mobile devices
and (at least) one for general web use.  That latter one is on my radar
at first, and is implemented mainly in CoffeeScript.

A search engine is being worked on (as a GSoC project, I believe)
implemented (sadly, IMO) in Java.  I hope that someone will take the
challenge of reimplementing that in something more lightweight, i.e.
using Xapian (either in C or C++ or in some scripting language).