[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Aug 11 08:59:54 UTC 2011

On 11-08-10 at 06:33am, J David Eisenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> > On 11-08-09 at 08:45pm, John Walsh wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I recommended Buddycloud as an initial sample application for
> > FreedomBox development, because it...
> >
> >  * is not written in java
> >  * is not written in PHP
> >  * uses XMPP (not reinventing messaging on top of http)
> >  * is actively being packaged for Debian (by me).
> >
> > Those are just my reasons, not show-stoppers for others: Please do
> > work on alternatives - would be awesome with friendly competition!
> >

> Sorry, but I just had to put in my two cents' worth here: I agree with
> the last two reasons, but not the first two. Though there are some
> programming languages I prefer to others, I believe that you can write
> (bad) FORTRAN  in any programming language.
> (http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1039535)
>
> That said, I was once asked, "which one is better, C or Pascal?" I
> replied, "Which one is better: a screwdriver or a hammer?" Tell me
> what you want to build, and there's your answer. That's why the
> language-agnostic buddycloud approach is appealing.
>
> Purely out of curiosity, would you prefer Scala to Java? Same JVM, but
> a more "modern" language.

The question asked was not "which language is most shiny for FreedomBox
to exclusively use" but rather "why were some tool favored over other
more mature ones".

Personally(!) I would not choose between any of Scala or Java.  But as I
also wrote (which you snipped from your reply) I would be quite happy
that others contribute with work on alternatives.

So if between the lines you are asking if you can persuade me(!) to
spend my time and devotion on Scala (or whatever) then the answer is
most likely no.  If instead you are asking what languages I would
tolerate you yourself contributing with, then feel free to use whatever
you yourself find sensible to use for this particular project.

Oh, and if you only care about official statements then ignore me. :-)

Looking forward to your concrete contributions too!