[Freedombox-discuss] Freedom databases >>> Hosting

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 17:17:08 UTC 2011

for a FreedomBases with a social networking:

My strong position -
- we are doing the social networks, social projects, what-ever that
would make at least in itself - the kind of what Semantic Web wasn't able for.

It Should persist the data as perfectly as FLOSS community tools would
be able to provide,
or shouldn't persist at all.

I mean - i won't accept and tolerate another ******* social network or
forum or what-ever that won't be able
to choose from dozen of auth or privacy or DB variants one or two
best, that will actually do the job,
and would still hope to provide the social service.

I mean - there Should Not be the current ********** with the data into
which you can't search,
which you type in a super-massive black holes...Which you could not
have licensed and made available under your license
of choice

CreativeCommons or kinds..
copyleft or copyright...
 the rights, including the full right of control should be Granted to
users not a service providers,
see a Duckduckgo - it wins, even so you could turn off its Advertizing, etc.)

Closed un-usefulness of anti-API's and closed centralized Web
persistence systems are an obvious,
systematic dead-end magnet for Internet, where no Semantic Web would help, ever.
How it would - if you would increasingly pay up with a money or
patent/license or your freedom on any next hub?
How it would be if - you will increasingly pay for generation of it
all, help it all, all the way up and
on every step and afterward - pay to use it all.

Example?
Oh, they will sue me, i can't afford it.

http://camlistore.org/ states among the goals
"Data archaeology: should be easy and obvious to reconstruct in 20 or 100 years"
I'd say - data reusing is a need.
For what ******* reason is to maintain this current computer software
ideology stack,
that are here for how long? 20 years?
If it can't provide such a Basic needs....?
For what ********* reason to make and maintain all these OS's
with all these FS's, all these DB's,
if user can't EVEN easily copy the data from one to another without a
proprietary tool?
If you can't persist it? Do i need to continue?

I'm, personally, won't forget and forgive any Social Communication
project that will continue
to fail these Basic needs of Internet.

This have leaded me to a FreedomBases topic -
just an obvious, rational conclusion :)

Objected from an obvious, systematic disrespect to Internet's users,
Internet life, Internet achievements
from maintainers of Chats, Forums, Conferences, Mailing Lists and
other Communicators.

The fact that now there could be a 100 000 messages in some public Forum and
it could suddenly be dead without any responsibility or, even an
ability for responsibility.. or dead and dumped into proprietary
cache..
is just disgusting to me. I see the value of that generated knowledge
on the same
rank of books value. On one rank of data knowledge that should be
persisted and operated in open ways if
users provided and agreement for it. That data which should be deleted forever
if user reconsidered, that data which won't be easily crawled like now
the closed forums, that data which should
do what Google were promising to do for a research world when it
started to compete with Yahoo,
 that, which should do what the Web
should do for next generation of people
- provide the computing to all the transparently and freely generated
knowledge of our world.

Archive.org, it is great but it won't store your social systems data, really.

For me - every disappearance and moreover every closed for a total
re-using (if these who generate the data - willing to)
social data source is worse than burning library.
As while the library failing by the material design, that source is
failing by the system design.

Free(as in FSF) Information was a ground for Internet, while you give
your Free information to the Bases which can't
be considered as a reliable and Free - you make the Internet
unreliable and closed.

"information is closely related to notions of constraint,
communication, control, data, form, instruction, knowledge, meaning,
mental stimulus, pattern, perception, representation, and especially
entropy."
Basing the Information in FreedomBases is  - actually - in sense of
these terms.

--
@Patrick and @Community
Do You know any rare or forgotten projects that are working for a this

@FBX TAC

what kind of storages do you mean for a FreedomBoxes that you are about to ship.
"internal 2gb microSDHC card for OS and storage"?

Do you think people would use eSATA for an external storage or a small
flash cards, mainly?

@Sekani Temno

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Meritocracy

"The great thing about the internet is it is a meritocracy and it's free."
have you seen OK Go work? Amazing examples of a community work
for a better world :)

"The Apache Software Foundation and the Mozilla Foundation are
examples of (open source) organizations which officially claim to be
meritocracies"

> Do you think telecom corporations will sit idly by as their market share plummets?
:) we are here to compete. Mozilla was able to compete and change the
faith of Internet with a resources of an avarage hyped start-up.
Apache server is another example.

> Do you think governments will be supportive of an initiative that potentially eliminates centralization, and therefore digital identity, and ultimately a means of control, coercion, and surveillance?

we are here to explain the pros and cons to governments,
governments are supposed to be people's will, actually,

see the https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Selective_Availability#Selective_availability
case:
"GPS includes a (currently disabled) feature called Selective
Availability (SA) that adds intentional, time varying errors of up to
100 meters (328 ft) to the publicly available navigation signals. This
was intended to deny an enemy the use of civilian GPS receivers for
precision weapon guidance."
"The ineffectiveness of SA in the face of widely available DGPS was a
common argument for turning off SA, and this was finally done by order
of President Clinton in 2000."

I think wired communications to wireless could be the viewed as a kind
of that case.

> concrete framework necessary for FBX...until then these types of discussion seem

My point:
there are enough of every Freedom tech to work with,
no kind of framework would solve the organizational problems,

if you don't need
> pipe dreams coughed through a cloud of bong smoke.
here, try to organize the connection between the existing communities
which where listed along this mailing - widely.

All these are solving the problems now, if FBX Foundation want to
succeed on the stated mission,
they "just" need to go away from "TAC/Debian helps the world" to
"FLOSS community helps the world"
Where to find FLOSS community that needs to be invited?
see the ohloh.net, maybe.

The kind of freedom packages are needed for an every OS, BTW.
I'm trying to organize around the needs of portable/mobile computers,
i hope - people would
describe and try to collaborate for other cases, as there are many.

By describing - the organizational affords would turn easier.