[Freedombox-discuss] Email on the FreedomBox Discussion

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:36:14 UTC 2011

On 26 August 2011 18:28, Nick Daly <Nick.M.Daly at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Abhishek Dasgupta <abhidg... at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> This is okay for people with static IPs. For most people, end point
>> email on their FB is simply not an option because of dynamic IPs,
>> which may cause email to be delivered to an unknown computer if my
>> server is down.
>
> I don't think it works that way.  A server not receiving mail would
> never send an acknowledgement, bouncing the message.  A server that does
> receive mail should have a whitelist of domains it can accept email for.
> That whitelist should never be "*".  Failing the whitelist should also
> cause an error.

It should, of course, but that is not a guarantee. With a static IP, I
am sure that if my server is down, others will see it as such.

Well, mainly the problem comes down to disabling or redirecting the
DNS for the dynamic IP when the internet or server is down, to prevent
mis-delivery. Here, the internet sometimes goes down for a week; that
is when there is a chance that mail will be delivered to someone else
who has the old IP.

> Also, how "dynamic" is your dynamic IP?  Mine will go weeks or months
> without changing.

Here it changes every couple of days or so, but I have not checked
that since a while.

>> Also, sending from dynamic IP addresses is nearly guaranteed to get
>> one's mail blocked by ISPs or webmail providers.

[snip]

> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:17 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>> imap is the easy part. smtp is the hard part ;-)
>
> What an odd world!  It's incredibly easy to hear anything, but much more
> difficult to say it.

I wonder if the problem will be solved by increasing IPv6 adoption and
free static IPs. However some webmail providers (like gmail) do not
support sending to servers with only IPv6 MX records.

Abhishek